Position title: Senior Policy Officer
Location: Deakin ACT
Classification: Full-time position
Applications close: 10 December 2015
The Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation working to stop the harm caused by alcohol. Alcohol harm in Australia is significant. More than 5,500 lives are lost every year and more than 157,000 people are hospitalised making alcohol one of our nation’s greatest preventative health challenges.
For over a decade, FARE has been working with communities, governments, health professionals and police across the country to stop alcohol harms by supporting world-leading research, raising public awareness and advocating for changes to alcohol policy. FARE is guided by the World Health Organization’s Global Strategy to Reduce the Harmful Use of Alcohol for stopping alcohol harms through population-based strategies, problem directed policies, and direct interventions.
FARE is currently seeking a Senior Policy Officer to work as part of the Policy and Research team. The team is responsible for policy development, advocacy, research and research translation. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
The position reports to the Director, Policy and Research.
Duties and responsibilities
- Undertake high quality research into current and emerging alcohol policy areas.
- Develop written materials including policy positions, reports, submissions to government and correspondence.
- Maintain and develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders including government representatives and community organisations to further agreed positions.
- Contribute to the development of advocacy strategies to further policy positions.
- Work with the communications team to identify media and communications messaging and opportunities on alcohol policies.
Candidates should possess an appropriate range of the following capabilities:
- Experience in policy development in the areas of public health, economics, legal affairs or other relevant areas.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to write in a range of formats targeted at a variety of audiences.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills, including a demonstrated ability to work with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong analytical research skills including the ability to translate research findings into policy outcomes and to identify communications implications.
- Ability to work autonomously, manage and prioritise workload and work to tight timelines.
The successful applicant will be able to access salary sacrificing options available to a health promotion charity. FARE is located in Deakin and offers a friendly, collaborative work environment.
Applicants will need to submit a cover letter of no more than 500 words indicating their suitability for the position, along with a CV.
Salary of up to $90,000 p.a., plus superannuation, subject to experience.
For more information, call Amy Ferguson on (02) 6122 8600.
Please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: ‘Senior Policy Officer’ by Thursday 10 December 2015.